Sunday, March 13, 2011

Double rainbow all across the sky....

“May you always have work for your hands to do.
May your pockets hold always a coin or two.
May the sun shine bright on your windowpane.
May the rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
May the hand of a friend always be near you.
And may God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.”

What a week.  And what a week to come. 

The most common theme of the last week is "Wow - you have gotten a lot bigger!" 

Starting at Ash Wednesday Mass, I must have heard this two dozen times through today.

It's really something that's given my heart hope, since the Wee Ski 2.0 has been breech for the past month and a half, and we're really hoping that he's decided to head 'south' instead of sitting on his bottom...and that's why my tummy has changed shape so dramatically in the last few days. We have an ultrasound this Wednesday to check in on him...cannot wait to find out if our hopes are confirmed!

We were given several fantastic gifts this weekend...Thomas had a sleepover at Un-coo Kevin and Auntie Heidi's house last night.  We got in the car and I asked him where we were going, "Uncoo! Heidi!"  He directed us all the way across the field to their house and sprinted to the front door when we got there.

Jonathan and I had a date night up to Bellevue for Stella's "Sweet Sixteen (+20)" birthday party.  So much fun to just be able to hang out and catch up with everyone...even getting to spend time with Michael G on a Saturday night before he headed out to several different events. 

It was nearly three hours into the roundtrip to Bellevue and back that Jonathan and I realized we had never turned on the radio once.  I'm used to Thomas's running commentary from the backseat "Mommy?  Where's Daddy?  Horses!  See horses!  Jesus?  Go to see Jesus?  Flagpole!  Go go go!  Where's Daddy?  Mommy? Fries?  Fries?  Fries?  MOMMY! MOMMY!".  

We talked the whole way up and the whole way back, and it was just what we needed.  We both crashed after walking in the door.  In the past few days, I've been having trouble sleeping at night, and was so glad that my three hours of insomnia weren't spent worrying if I would wake Thomas up or not. 

When I finally got up around 6 am, I worked for a few hours, knowing that Thomas was happy at his un-coo and auntie's. Jonathan literally slept in until the 9-minute countdown to leave to pick him up on the way to Mass.  I have no idea the last time that happened.

When we got to Mass, Thomas was still trying to figure out where we'd been for the previous 16 hours.  It was a combination of joy and frustration with us.  He would snuggle, and then launch into a full face slap. A few yells and outrageous tears when he bonked his head on the pew.  So before Mass even began, he and I were heading outside. I was thinking to myself, "Lord, this is going to be a long Mass if I'm holding him in the back for an hour. After last night's lack of sleep, I don't know that I can do it."

And right as I walked out of the sanctuary, one of my friends, Brandi, appeared at the doorway with open arms.  "Can he sit with us?"

And he jumped into her arms. Their family sat in the front row of the church, and the Wee Ski was a perfect angel. We watched him pray and sit and stand and watch Father Duc intently.   Jonathan and I were both able to be fully present without wrestling Thomas. And when Brandi's family went to bring the gifts up, Jonathan held Thomas in back for a bit, and then the two of them joined me again. 

It was just what I needed at Mass today. 

Both Heidi & Kevin as well as Brandi's family gave us special gifts this weekend...and Thomas adores all of them.

And the double rainbow at the end of the day today was just icing on the cake. 

No comments:

Link Within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin